Saturday, September 7, 2013

Art and Inquiry

MoMA (Museum of Modern Art) 
Art and Inquiry: Museum Teaching Strategies For Your Classroom, 2013

I'm not a teacher but this course made me incredibly curious. I've studied with the MoMA before and was really impressed. This course was made available for free through the Coursera platform.

I decided to take participate in the course for a number of different reasons. I have never completely ruled out the idea of teaching art in some capacity. secondly, I think its important to understand how art is used in conversation; how is a visual language developed and understood. Also, I wanted to know more about the MoMA, because I think its important for artists to understand how art galleries operate.

The course was thoroughly enjoyable. It showed how inquiry based teaching methods can encourage a greater dialogue. The technique uses open ended questions to explore peoples ideas and make them more comfortable in expressing them. It is a conversational tool and a learning tool. I have learned many new skills that could be adapted to a range of circumstances, not just classroom teaching. My grade was 95% I therefore received a 'Statement of accomplishment with distinction'.