Thursday, October 18, 2012

Boxing for Bellows

Dempsey and Firpo - George Bellows

The human body creates such interesting stances and movements. These are more easily noticeable when viewing sport or dance. Within sport, bodies move in ways that you don't normally see and it creates a visual of something that is both familiar and unfamiliar. When I see a contemporary ballet or pro wrestling, I see movements and shapes that push me to view the human body in a different way. I look at this image by George Bellows and I can understand his fascination. The two bodies form such an interesting composition where intense movement has been captured within a still image, the results reveal structures that are solid yet unbalanced. This is a painting, so the boxer will never fall to the floor and his almost unnatural position is now permanent and sculptural.