Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Day 14

'Day 14' by Jina Wallwork

I have experienced many days. As this new born arrives I question how it will perceive this day. I know it will become buried deep within its memory. Forgotten, it is still an event that was experienced. On our first day we connected to the world around us. We must have held a perception of life on the first day we were born. Even if that perception was an emotional understanding of what it means to be alive. As our perception of life alters over the years, our initial understanding seems completely lost. Life must have seemed difficult to understand. I wonder if we made the attempt or we simply trusted our instincts and felt safe.

Maybe, we forget our first day because it is unnecessary to know how we previously understood life. As I search my thoughts, I find it easier to access memories rather than old beliefs or attitudes. Sometimes we are reminded by another and yet we cannot rediscover the perspective. It seems impossible for an adult to perceive life from the viewpoint of a baby. Life means something different to all of us. We do share a common link, we all seem to understand that life is important and valuable. I wonder if a baby feels this is true, on the first day of its adventure.

'27 Days' is a series of transient sculptures each representing a day. To find out more about the series click here