Thursday, January 20, 2011

Justice and Empathy

Justice lecture 5 by Harvard University


Here are my thoughts on the 5th lecture of Justice by Harvard University.

This lecture raises questions of manipulation and choice. The examples discussed are joining the army and reproductive rights. I found myself asking how desperate I would need to be, to join the army or be a surrogate mother. I’m not sure who I would be, if I could see desperation in another and viewed it as an opportunity for myself. I imagine that you would have to convince yourself that it was their choice or you would need to believe that you are more important and special. You certainly wouldn’t be capable of the gift of empathy, if you took advantage of another at their lowest point.

Justice by Harvard University http://www.justiceharvard.org/
To read my thoughts on earlier lectures click on the label at the bottom of the blog that reads Justice by Harvard University.