Sunday, August 29, 2010

The Past

"The past is a foreign country; they do things differently there"- Leslie Poles Hartley

My past features a person I don't fully recognize; that person is myself. We change and grow with time, and who we were becomes a small aspect of  who we are now. I believe that I did not know how to express myself fully. Therefore I expressed pieces that were not complete. The notion of a complete self is a complicated one, which involves a lot of self knowledge. I presumed that there was no space in my world for deeper conversations and so I remained quiet or joked. Then when I finally found the courage to speak I found that my personal world did not feature people who would listen. Now, my life is different because I begin by expressing my complete self and my relationships form around who I am. My personal world allows the space for me to be myself because I also allow for that space.